On a scale of 1 to 10 (1 being lowest and 10 being highest), where do you rate yourself in terms of stress tolerance level. I rate myself 5.
How do you react when things don't go your away? How about last minute changes to be made and it's urgent?
How do you behave when you are under a pressing deadline? Do you get nervous as the deadline gets closer? Agitated? Frustrated? Panic? Voice suddenly got louder?
I found myself getting stressed each day. I have the challenge of getting to destination on time, and yes, it is embarrassing. Each day is a chore to get my daughter to school. I do lose my cool when I get stress up and it is.... not good..
Stress begets Stress!
Cultivating a good habit is important. More important so to cultivate it from young. So I get more stressed when I know I am not setting a good example for my daughter to follow.
Yes, I do feel vulnerable by revealing this to you but by doing so, I am giving myself the pressure to becoming a better person. It makes me feel good. Elevates my self-esteem.
I announce that I shall be on time from the next appointment onwards!
Mind you, there were many times when I was early and I would like to now improve it to EVERYTIME!!
I read somewhere recently that ALL successful people have the habit of being punctual or arriving before time.
Talking about punctuality, I am always flabbergasted by the punctuality of guests to local (Singapore) wedding functions.
It may indicate on the invitation card that Cocktail serves at 645pm, Dinner will start exactly at 730pm. Urging guests to be on time.
But there are still many arriving at the dinner way past 8 or 830pm and as a result the dinner can only commence around then. I had been to 1 or 2 that started dinner only at around 845pm or later and ended just sometime before midnight.
This practice is not being fair to those who come early and as a result, they also come late for subsequent dinners they are going as they don't expect the rest to be early and it spirals on. Hence, the Culture is formed.
I would like to believe that the trend is improving in recent years. More Hosts decide to go ahead and start on time and the function venue (hotels, restaurant, clubs etc) are also pressured to end the event early to avoid overtime compensation to staff. Some even pass on the compensation to Hosts so it gives more pressure for the Hosts to start on time.
Personally, I usually arrive at the venue on time or the most, 5-10mins later than stipulated time. I try not to be later than that because
- First, it doesn't look good on me or whoever I am going with.
- Second, the host is already uncertain if the guests will be on time and the very least we can do is not to give them the extra pressure.
- Third, we definitely don't wish to stay late so hopefully everyone can come early like us and the dinner can start and end early.
Because we were in the retail business, those attending either took off or annual leave or got special permission to leave earlier on that day. I was working on that day so the few of us (if I remember correctly it was 5 of us) left earlier to doll up.
I don't remember the nitty gritty details but what I do remember clearly was that I was so anxious when approaching the time we were expected to arrive but my fellow colleagues were still taking their own sweet time to doll up.
I couldn't stand the delay and told them I would go there by myself first.
I considered myself late by arriving about 20mins past the stipulated time but I wasn't surprised to find the hall was just half-filled. It might have given me some comfort (at least I was consider one of those early arrivals) but the delay was enough to make me feel uncomfortable and somewhat embarrassing.
I like to be considered and seen as one of those early ones when come to attending functions and events and I always make it a point to do so.
The dinner commenced about half an hour later. I kept looking around to see if my fellow colleagues who were with me earlier had arrived but no sight of them. Finally, they arrived around 930pm, which was halfway through the dinner! I couldn't understand how some people could actually do that without feeling any sign of guilt...
Surely, actions reflect individuals.
In contrast, I have been to a few wedding dinners in Malaysia and the ones that impressed me most were from my husband's hometown in Perak.
Wedding dinner was slated to start at 630pm and given the norm we usually would experience in Singapore, I was very surprised to find that almost, if not ALL guests were seated 5-10 minutes before time to welcome the newly wed (alright, I was told that it's usually the bride that they are more interested to get a glimpse on ;))
The point is, they RESPECT the Hosts, the respect the newly wed. It's the couple's BIG day, they want to bless them, and by being early is a way of showing that.
I was impressed and it's a reflection for myself. Do I want others to be late on me? NO. So, I shall be on time for others.
Respecting others is respecting self!
This is especially true in business meeting. If you can't be on time for meetings, how can I trust that you would deliver the projects that I entrust you.
Sure, there are times when we rush from one meeting to another meeting due to spill over from earlier meetings. So it's always important to have a buffer of time in between.
Having a good habit and commitment to arrive on time is important. It gives you less stress!

No comments:
Post a Comment